Mapleton Public Schools Debate Team
As a member of the Denver Urban Debate League, Mapleton students have the opportunity to learn and achieve through competitive debate and speech activities. Students may participate in the following activities:
- Debate: Students learn how to construct an argument and deconstruct their opponent's argument.
- Speech: Students learn how to perform Drama (performing someone else's work), Impromptu (forming a speech in 3 minutes or less) and Slam Poetry (writing your own performance piece).
In 2015, Mapleton's Debate Team took home the League Champion trophy. Mapleton's top varsity debate team also attended the National Tournament in San Francisco. Alumni from Mapleton's debate team are currently attending Stanford, MIT, Yale and other prestigious universities. In 2017-18, coaches Emelina Pacheco and Eric Munoz were named Coaches of the Year and Jennifer Dam was name Debater of the Year!
Who can participate?
Debate Club is open to all Mapleton 9-12 grade students. Students in grades 7-8 interested in participating may do so with a teacher recommendation. It is never to late to join and students from all campuses are invited to attend.
All students are required to:
- Meet Athletic Eligibility Criteria
- Meet with their partner or work on their own for 2-4 hours a week
- Attend most tournaments and workshops
Debate practice is held every Monday and Friday from 4:00 - 5:30 PM in the Skyview Annex building on the Skyview Main Campus (8990 York St., Thornton). Student can ride the activity bus from their school to the Skyview Campus.
Denver Urban Debate League Schedule
Click here for the 2019-20 Denver Urban Debate League Schedule.
All busses will leave the Skyview Main Campus 1 hour prior to the event listed time and then pick up at the other campuses. The busses will return approximately 1 hour after the listed time.