2020 Virtual Graduation Ceremony and Diploma Parade
Graduation is an exciting and important milestone for our students. While health concerns continue to prevent many of the traditional ways we have honored our seniors, the Board of Education remains committed to honoring and celebrating our 2020 graduates.
Public health officials continue to restrict in-person events to very small groups. Therefore, we are preparing to host a virtual graduation ceremony.
The Superintendent Student Advisory Committee, the Board of Education, and school leaders have been meeting virtually to design a meaningful ceremony with significant modifications and exciting additions to our graduation traditions.
We are partnering with a professional production company to offer a virtual graduation ceremony to recognize our graduates. A special diploma parade is scheduled for Saturday, June 13. The virtual ceremony will debut on Friday, June 19.
To prepare for both events, please review the following three important steps we are asking all graduates to complete to be included in this special celebration.
STEP ONE: Pick up caps and gowns
- Date: Wednesday, May 20, and Thursday, May 21
- Location: Your school will contact you with time and location.
Students will receive their:
- Cap, gown, and tassel
- Diploma cover
- Cords, stoles and/or medals
- Graduate nametag (please place on the dashboard of your car during graduation events)
An important note about your cap and gown:
Graduation is a significant event honoring the dedication, drive, and perseverance of each student. The Board of Education is committed to ensuring every graduate has an opportunity to participate in this special ceremony. To that end, this year the Board of Education will be covering the cost of the cap and gown for every Mapleton graduate. If you have already purchased a cap and gown from Jostens, you will receive a refund from Jostens. If you have not yet ordered your cap and gown, or have canceled your order, you will receive a cap and gown on the pick-up date mentioned above.
STEP TWO: Professional graduate photos
- Date: Thursday, May 21, and Friday, May 22
- Time: By school and last name (schedule below)
- Location: Student Lot on the Skyview Campus (Enter from Moon Court)
Graduates arrive at the student parking lot of the Skyview Campus at the appointed time (see below) wearing their cap, gown, and carrying their diploma cover. Please place your nametag on your dashboard. Graduates stay in their vehicles until it is their turn to take their photos. Non-graduates may attend and must stay in the vehicle. The photo is free and will be used in the virtual ceremony. Students who do not take photos will still have their names called in the ceremony. Families may order prints for a fee.
Professional graduate photo schedule:
Thursday, May 21
Mapleton Early College High School
- 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. - Last Names A-K
- 9:00 - 10:30 a.m. - Last Names L-Z
Big Picture College and Career Academy
- 10:30 - 11:15 a.m. - Last Names A-S
- 11:15 - 12:00 p.m. - Last Names S-Z
- 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. - Last Names A-H
- 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. - Last Names I-N
- 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. - Last Names M-Z
North Valley School for Young Adults
- 4:15 – 5:00 p.m. - Last Names A-Z
Friday, May 22
York International School
- 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. - Last Names A-H
- 9:00 - 10:30 a.m. - Last Names I-Z
Global Leadership Academy
- 10:30 - 11:30 a.m. - Last Names A-L
- 11:30 - 12:15 p.m. - Last Names M-Z
Academy High School
- 1:15 - 2:15 p.m. - Last Names A-G
- 2:15 - 3:15 p.m. - Last Names H-O
- 3:15 - 4:15 p.m. - Last Names P-S
- 4:15 - 5 p.m. - Last Names T-Z
STEP THREE: Diploma Parade
- Date: Saturday, June 13
- Location: Skyview Campus main parking lot
- Click here to view the parade route.
Graduates will receive their diploma wearing their cap and gown as a part of Mapleton’s first graduate car parade. Please place your nametag on your dashboard and arrive at the Skyview Campus parking lot 10 minutes before your designated school parade time. Times are available below. Friends and family may ride with the graduate, but every car must have a graduate to participate. Family and staff are invited to park along the route to honk and wave in celebration of each graduate. At this event, schools will distribute a box containing the diploma, a face mask, and a t-shirt for the graduate.
Please help us keep this event fun and safe by ensuring everyone in the car has a seat belt. Please stay in your car to maintain a safe social distance at all times.
- 1 p.m. Academy High School
- 2 p.m. MESA
- 3 p.m. Big Picture College and Career Academy and Mapleton Early College High School
- 4 p.m. Global Leadership Academy and North Valley School for Young Adults
- 5 p.m. York International School
2020 Virtual Graduation Viewing Opportunities
Virtual Graduation Premiere
- Date: Friday, June 19
- Time: The box office opens at 6 p.m., however, the viewing of the virtual ceremony will not start until 8:45 p.m. (when it starts to get dark).
- Location: 88 Drive-In Theater, 8780 Rosemary St. Henderson, CO 80640
- Drive-in Radio Station: 93.7 FM
Graduates are invited to watch the premiere of their virtual ceremony at the 88 Drive-In Theater. Capacity is limited, so every car that attends the premier must have a graduate in it. Family members are invited to attend but must be in the car with their graduate. Graduates must be wearing their cap and gown to be admitted. The radio station is 93.7 FM and can be played through car stereos or any portable FM radio. Flashing headlights and honking horns is a fun way to share excitement and enthusiasm!
A link to on-demand streaming will be made available on Mapleton’s website on Saturday, June 20, at 10 a.m. Graduates, families, and friends can watch the streamed simulcast from anywhere with an internet connection.
We appreciate your patience and flexibility as we work to make this a safe and special celebration. We are excited about the opportunity to pay tribute to our outstanding graduates and celebrate the achievements, resilience, and spirit of the class of 2020.
2020 Virtual Graduation and Diploma Parade
Wednesday, May 20 & Thursday, May 21:
Cap and Gown Distribution: Schools will send additional information.
Thursday, May 21 & Friday, May 22:
Professional Graduate Photos: Professional photos of graduates in their regalia are scheduled by school and last name. The schedule is above
Saturday, June 13:
Diploma Parade: Students wear their cap and gown and receive their diploma at the Skyview Campus parking lot. View the parade schedule and route here.
Friday, June 19:
Commencement Ceremony Premier: Optional event for graduates and families to watch the ceremony at the 88 Drive-In Theater. Family members may attend, however, each car must have a graduate wearing cap and gown to be admitted. (Theater opens at 6 p.m., video starts after dark)
Saturday, June 20:
10 a.m. - Streamed Commencement Ceremony, available at www.mapleton.us
After June 20 Streamed Commencement:
On-Demand Commencement Replay and Access to all graduate videos: Find links at www.mapleton.us
For questions or additional information please contact Chris Byrd, Director on Special Assignment, 303.853.1071.