The York International Uniform Committee has spent the 2021-22 school year working with the parent and student community to determine whether or not they would like to return to a student school uniform. The details below outline each step and clarify that moving forward:
York Students K-12 will NOT have a school uniform
With the onset of the new Mapleton Board Approved Dress Code (JICA), the committee will be focusing their efforts on working with the York Parents, Students, and Staff to determine a York Dress Code that builds upon the Mapleton District Dress Code.
The goal of this process will be to raise the standards of our Student Dress Code at York International, while still providing students the opportunity to express themselves and their individuality.
Committee Members - A dedicated group of York Parents, Students, Staff began meeting in the Fall of 2021 with the following mission:
- Serving together as a committee we are charged with supporting a decision on the future of York’s Student Uniform based on the voice of our entire community. Regardless of our personal stance on the issue, we will analyze feedback objectively as we help inform a decision using the collective voice of the school community as a whole.
Community Survey - In the winter of 2022 York Parents, Students, and Staff were given the opportunity to voice their opinion in an online survey regarding whether or not to return to an official school uniform. Almost 500 responses were collected and analyzed by the committee.
The main question asked:
- Option A - Bring back the ORIGINAL York Uniform from 2019-2020 exactly as it is written.
- Option B - Implement a NEW version of a school uniform.
- Option C - Continue to follow only the Mapleton Dress Code Policy and NOT require a separate York-specific uniform.
Parents - 25.8% Option A / 22.6% Option B / 51.6% Option C
Students - 13.6% Option A / 16.1% Option B / 70.4% Option C
Staff - 33.3% Option A / 40.0% Option B / 26.7% Option C
*From these results it was determined that our community was asking for Option A to NOT be considered by the committee moving forward.
Committee Survey - In April 2022 the committee met again to analyze the community feedback, spend time reviewing current research on the topic of school uniforms, and develop an internal survey to poll the committee members anonymously.
Current Research on School Uniforms
Committee Survey Results
- 28.6% - Option B - Implement a NEW version of a school uniform.
- 71.4% - Option C - Continue to follow only the Mapleton Dress Code Policy and NOT require a separate York-specific uniform.
As of May 2, 2022, the York Dress Code Committee would like to formally announce that York International will NOT be moving forward as a "uniform school" but instead focusing their efforts on working with the York parents, students, and staff to determine a York Dress Code that builds upon the Mapleton District Dress Code.
**The York Dress Code will go into effect in August of 2022**
*Please look for a Dress Code Specific Survey to all Parents, Students, and Staff at the beginning of the 2022-2023 school year.
- Thank you!